May 9, 2012

DIY Kitchen Accessory Refresh - Spray Paint

With all of the wonderful spray paint projects out there, I had to try one for myself.  I was looking for an update in my kitchen.





My tired mug tree.  It blends in with the beige counters. (Does anyone else use one of these?)


My house is small, and I cannot fit all my mugs in my cabinets.  I have searched and searched at different stores for a new mug tree.  My husband had the one above before we met, and you can see the wear after almost 11 years of marriage.

I decided I would try spray painting my mug tree, instead of tossing it.  I have started a lemon collection for decor in my kitchen.  This is due to it being our last name!  So, I decided on a fun and bright yellow.

I started the project with using Krylon primer.  I had read several posts that suggested using a primer first.

* Here's my issue I discovered.  I had difficulty deciding between the gray and white primer at the store.  I chose gray (because I always think of gray when I think of primer.)  My final color you will see was light, and so it took more coats with the gray primer to cover vs. the white I know now I should have  gone with! *







All primed.  And ready for the color!


I was limited on the cardboard I had to spray on (I have to use my boxes for shipping.) and found the bottom of a water bottle case.  The little lip worked great in keeping the paint confined.




It looked too perfect, so I very lightly sanded the edges and pegs to make it look like it is vintage.








The yellow brings a cheery accent that I didn't realize I needed!  I am so glad I did this.  I used Design Master Yellow 736.

What are your tricks for spray painting? What is your favorite brand of spray paint?  Have a project you have completed with spray paint? I would love to see them! Please feel free to share!

Have you entered the Sweet One Year Anniversary Giveaway?  8 shops, 8 winners!

Linking up to:

Craft & Tell

3 comments:

Claire @ a little something in the meantime . . . said...

Another great spray paint makeover! I have to admit that I have two cans of yellow spray paint but I have never actually painted anything with them. I definitely need to change that.

My Mom has a mug tree on her kitchen counter and it has been a fixture there for years. I wonder if she would let me freshen it up . . .

the Sweetest Memory said...

Claire, thank you for stopping by. The yellow definitely cheers things up!

I am glad I am not the only one who has one of these things!

Kari

StephaniePumphrey said...

Plasma Spraying , techniques are coating processes in which melted (or heated) materials are sprayed onto a surface. The "feedstock" (coating precursor) is heated by electrical (plasma or arc) or chemical means (combustion flame).